Wednesday, October 8, 2008

The little white pill....

I have mentioned several times that I take an antidepressant. I started taking it in my early 40’s and have continued to take it to date. I tried Lexapro after going off Prozac and then went off Lexapro with very strange side effects. Once I went off of Lexapro, I found that an undercurrent of frustration and anger existed that wasn’t resolved through exercise or any other activity. As a result, I went back on 10 mg. of Prozac. I know that some people may find that taking an antidepressant for perimenopause is a crutch. Others might say that they would never do it. But I take it and make no apologies for taking it. I have found that I like myself a whole lot better when I am not mad at the world or those around me. I can be, who I think, I really am. S0 I take it and am at peace with the decision.

In perimenopause or menopause your emotions are often a myriad of carnival rides. You are up and down. You are all over the board. And many times you have no particular reason why you feel the way that you do. You can talk yourself out of the mood if you feel strong enough. Or you can pamper yourself while in the mood. Lots of times, a person just doesn’t have that much flexibility. Someone needs you. You need to be somewhere. You have a life deadline. So you forge ahead despite how you feel. I hated being angry. I hated the stress that came with knowing I was angry and didn’t know why no matter how hard I tried to figure it out. So I saw my doctor. He made some recommendations and I took his advice. It worked for me where for others it doesn’t. That’s why menopause is so individual, so different for everyone and why how you deal with it depends only on you and no one else.

No comments: