Thursday, February 21, 2008
Those Tiny Unsightly Hairs.....
I recently read Nora Ephron’s I Feel Bad about my Neck, and if you are in your forties, you have to read it. I felt immediately normal upon reading that book. I love her biting humor and the concise way that she can make a point. At one point she talks about her excess facial hair, the “mustache” that appears after menopause. As she says, “along came menopause. And with it, my mustache changed: It was no longer dormant, incipient, and threatening; it was now just plain there.” Every woman that I know who hits her late 30’s and then 40’s develops this thing we call “unwanted hair”. It’s on our upper lip. It’s on our chin. It’s on our nipples. It seems to be just everywhere! We tweeze it. We laser it. We bleach it. We do the threading thing. Then it turns into tiny little bristly white hair called whiskers. Nothing short of nuclear explosion can make those bad boys go away. They have moved in and are comfortable and warm. When I get too old to know better, I am going to hire a person, probably a really cute gay guy who dresses well and calls me “Honey”, who will come into the nursing home and tweeze my whiskers so I won’t look like the Cheshire Cat!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment